Butter chicken has gained the popularity all across the world. This recipe tastes the best with kulcha, naan, roti even rice too. This is one such recipe which many Indians love to enjoy their visits to any Indian restaurants.
Preparation Time: 4 hours.
Cooking Time: 30 minutes.
Total Time: 4 hours 30 minutes.
Ingredients Required For Butter Chicken Recipe
- ½ kg or 500g of bone-in or boneless chickens
- ¼ teaspoons of salt
- ¾ tablespoons of lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon of paprika or red chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoons of turmeric powder
- ¾ tablespoons of oil
- ¾ teaspoons of dried fenugreek leaves or crushed Kasuri methi
- ½ cup of hung curd/ thick curd
- 1 tablespoons of ginger and garlic paste
Makhani Gravy or Masala
- 1 teaspoon of ginger garlic paste
- 2 green cardamoms
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- One stick of 2-inch cinnamon
- 2 cloves
- 1 to 2 slit green chilies
- 1 teaspoons of paprika or red chili powder (according to the preferred taste)
- A very good generous pinch of ground fenugreek or methi powder (optional)
- 4 large tomatoes filtered to remove the seeds and skin to remove the skin pureed. You can use the tinned puree.
- ½ or ¾ teaspoons of blanched soaked almonds or cashew nuts
- ¼ tablespoon of sugar
- ½ tablespoon of crushed dried fenugreek leaves or Kasuri methi
- 90 to 100 ml of chilled cream
- Freshly chopped coriander leaves for garnishing
- ¾ teaspoon of garam masala powder
- Salt according to taste
Wash the chicken pieces under running water and dry them. Marinate the chicken with chili powder, salt and lemon juice for 20 minutes. Add kasuri methi, turmeric, yogurt, oil, garam masala powder and ginger garlic paste. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours. Grill the chicken pieces on a stove top or in an oven. Grill the chicken pieces till the meat is tender. While grilling the chicken on stove top, add one teaspoon of butter and the marinade. Put the flame on high and keep turning the pieces so that all the moisture is lost. Preheat the oven to 240C for around 20 minutes. Cook the chicken in the oven for about 25 to 30 minutes.
Heat a kadhai or pan with butter. You can use oil and butter in combination for better taste. Add dry spices to the vessel and fry for few minutes. Then, add the paste of ginger and garlic, green chilies and fry till fragrant.
Add the puree of tomatoes along with the red chili powder, salt, and sugar. Stir and cook till the puree becomes thick and it starts to leave the sides of the pan or kadhai. Add 1 cup of water and methi powder along with the almond or cashew paste. Adjust the quantity of water to preferred consistency and bring it to boil.
Let it simmer for around 5 minutes till the chicken pieces are tender and soft. Add Kasuri methi and garam masala. Stir and let it simmer for around 3 to 4 minutes. Now add the cream and turn off the flame. Add freshly chopped coriander leaves and a dollop of extra cream and your butter chicken curry is ready to eat!
Did you enjoy our recipe? Please let us know how your cooking went and provide us feedback or recommendations for new recipes.