Course: Main course
Cuisine: North and East Indian
Calories: 143 kcal.
Total Time in Preparing: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Palak Paneer is a popular North Indian recipe that is cooked with fresh cottage cheese and spinach. It is served with Naan, chapattis, or parantha or rice. It is served as a main course in parties, festivals, etc. People love the authentic taste of cottage cheese and spinach that are brought together to make such a delicious recipe. Cottage cheese is the Indian version of cheddar cheese. It is as popular as any other non-vegetarian item in the country. Learn the easy process of making a delicious mouth-watering recipe of Palak Paneer.
Ingredients Required For Palak Paneer Recipe
- 1 kg spinach leaves
- 250 grams of cottage cheese or paneer
- 1 tsp of cumin seeds or jeera
- 3-4 bay leaves or Tez Patta
- 4 tomatoes
- 1-inch piece of ginger juliennes
- 2 onions
- 7-8 garlic flakes
- 2-3 green chilies
- Pinch of sugar
- Salt to taste
- ½ tsp of turmeric powder
- ¾ tsp of red chili powder
- ½ tsp of coriander powder
- ¾ tsp of garam masala
- 3 tsp of dry mango powder
- 1 tsp of butter
- 1 tsp of fresh cream for the topping of Palak Paneer (optional)
- Lemon wedges (optional)
- Measuring cup used, 1 cup= 250 ml
- Cut the cottage cheese into small cubes and fry them in butter until golden brown.
- Blanch the tomatoes in hot water and puree it into a fine paste.
Method of Making Palak Paneer
- Remove the stem of the spinach leaves and wash them properly.
- Take 4 cups of water in a pan and boil it. Add spinach, onions, green chili, ginger juliennes and garlic flakes and a pinch of sugar granules to it. Let it boil for 15 minutes; remove from the flame and keep aside.
- Put all the ingredients in a blender or mixer and make a thick paste.
- Heat a kadhai and add oil and butter, when the oil gets heated add cumin seeds and let it crackle add the bay leaves. After 3-4 minutes add tomato paste and cook for 6-7 minutes on a medium-low heat. Add the spinach paste with other spices like turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder and dry mango powder. Mix well and cook for another 5 minutes on low flame.
- Add the fried pieces of Paneer and mix well with the spinach mix. Cover and cook for about 5-6 minutes on a low flame.
- Take it out on a serving dish and garnish it with fresh cream.
- Serve it hot with chapatis or steamed rice.
- You can use lemon or ginger juliennes to decorate your plate before serving the dish to your guest.
Vegans can substitute Paneer with the tofu in this recipe that is made up of soybeans. It tastes the same as the Palak Paneer. You can make much more recipes out of Paneer such as chili Paneer, Methi Paneer, Paneer Masala, Paneer lababdaar, Paneer kolhapuri, chili Paneer schezwan recipe, Paneer Kofta, Paneer Tikka, Paneer roll, Paneer pizza, Paneer parantha, Paneer ki Subzi, Paneer dopiaza, Kadhai Paneer, etc.